Monday, February 13, 2006

New Death Cab Video: "Crooked Teeth"

Before launching into the body of this post, I'd just like to say that I've had a ridiculously good/crazy week. On Tuesday I got to see the lovely Feist (with Jason Collett) from the front row of UVA's (well actually Charlottesville's) tiny Sattellite Ballroom, which was a great show. But the true highlight of my week came on Thursday when my friend Stephen (who was actually my host when I visited UVA as a prospective student last year) and I threw together a last-minute trip to NYC to see Sigur Ros from the 6th row in the Theater at Madison Square Garden. I'll be doing full reviews/write-ups of those two shows later this week (I promise), but for now I want to draw attention to another one of the highlights of last week: the release of Death Cab's brand new video for their second single from Plans, "Crooked Teeth".

For "Crooked Teeth" Ace Norton, who's also contributing a video for "Someday You Will Be Loved" to DCFC's Directions series, directs a brilliant homage to Peter Gabriel's 1987 stop-animation classic video for "Sledgehammer" (which you can and should watch or download here). Norton takes many of the tricks used in the "Sledgehammer" video, which was directed by Stephen Montmus, modifying them slightly and of course adding a modern polish to wonderfully entertaining effect, creating a video that works perfectly for the song. I especially love the part where the blended guitar effect (at the 2:33 mark of the song) perfectly coincides with Ben Gibbard's perfectly round head (seriously, it's geometrically flawless) getting swirled in a blender. All in all it's a really enjoyable video and is the early contender for February's video of the month honors.

Video: "Crooked Teeth" - Death Cab [highly recommended]
{Directed by Ace Norton}
Bonus Video: "Sledgehammer" - Peter Gabriel
{Directed by Stephen R. Johnson}