Monday, April 24, 2006

Thursday: "Counting 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

So as long as we're on the topic of epic punk/emo, I figure I might as well post Thursday's new video for "Counting 5, 4, 3, 2, 1", the lead single off of their upcoming album, A City Divided By The Light. Directed by high-budget emo video veteran animators Artificial Army, who have worked extensively with The Mars Volta and Coheed and Cambria, Thursday's latest video is the latest in a growing trend of overly-dramatic and epic videos for punk and emo bands (see also: My Chemical Romance's "Ghost of You" video and Green Day's unbearable "Wake Me Up When September Comes" clip, both from 2005). However, I like this one, and I think it fits the song well. While some of the animation looks unrealistic and straight out of a video game at times, and some of the flame animation could use some refining, the video fits the song and looks quite nice. However, my one question is this: is performance footage absolutely mandatory in every single punk video? Seriously? I'm hard-pressed to think of any recent punk videos off the top of my head that didn't force performance footage down the viewer's throats (we get it, you're super awesome at rocking out, we don't need to see you perform in every video). That aside, it's a good video, check it out for yourself below.


Video:
.MOV:
"Counting 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" - Thursday
.MP4:
"Counting 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" - Thursday [iPod Compatible]