Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Gnarls Barkley: "Crazy"



All things considered, "Crazy" is one of the most soulful tracks I've heard in years. It's funny because the recent Cee-Lo album itself was very good and was getting play on my iPod for a long time - but Danger Mouse's production really takes control of the quality of Cee-Lo's work. I have a bit of a confession to make - I thought DM was a flash-in-the-pan. Honestly. I still don't think much of "The Grey Album", mostly because I've heard many more mash-ups that were better, and I thought he was getting undeserved attention for something pretty mediocre. Heck, I still basically think that. However, between the Gorillaz, Danger Doom, and Gnarls Barkley, he's proven me wrong - which I am very happy to admit.

As for the video for "Crazy" - it's gorgeous. The ink-blot animation is just unbelievable. The style is just beautiful. There's really no way to describe it otherwise - this video recalls the "Seven Nation Army" video in how it keeps rolling forward. There isn't much else to say about it.



Video: [highly recommended]
.MP4: "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley [iPod Compatible]
{Directed By: Robert Hales}

Update: Alright, we were able to clear up the mystery behind who directed this clip when Robert Hales himself contacted us yesterday. This is the second video for "Crazy" - the first being a less impressive animated video. The second video, as suggested by a comment, was created by Blind, an animation studio that also worked on the Jet videos for "Look What You've Done" and "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?", also both directed by Robert Hales.

The first video was directed by Mina Song, however.