Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Snow Patrol: "Chasing Cars"



Boy, Gary Lightbody really wants to be Chris Martin. More and more, it's becoming apparent. This video is very... Coldplay - tight shots of the singer and such. I'm not really all that impressed with this video, as it seems kind of simple. There's such a slow build through the video, there isn't much of a payoff. I know it sounds odd to compare it, but... okay. Do you remember the video for "Faint" by Linkin Park? Ignore the song - the video pacing by Romanek is fantastic. You spent 2 minutes watching only the shadows of the band and the last minute with them in your face - there's a payoff. This one.... I don't get the payoff. Maybe I'm missing something. But it's a bit frustrating that a band who had two truly great videos for tracks off their last album ("Run", "Chocolate") has had two clunkers for this album.

I don't have the answer about why a band with as many good songs has had so many misfires for videos, but it's got to be someone at their label is picking the wrong directors. I know it sounds trite, but why they haven't paid for the Gondry/Romanek/Jonze crowd yet is a bit disappointing to me. Also, Gary, cut your hair. Hugs and handpounds, buddy, but cut it.



Video: "Chasing Cars" - Snow Patrol [iPod Compatible]
{Director: ???}