Monday, April 24, 2006

Angels & Airwaves: "The Adventure"



Here's the thing: I'm a huge Blink-182 fan. I'm not going to lie about that. I really do love their music - I'm a fan of a lot of the pop punk that's come about in the last ten years, whether it's Blink-182, New Found Glory, Fall Out Boy, Midtown, Brand New, or whatever. I just dig it. Why? Well, part of it is that for the most part, pop punk bands make good videos. They're usually guys who grew up watching MTV and therefore grew up watching Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, and Mark Romanek make some of the best videos ever. And here's the kicker - as much as I hated to see Blink-182 break up, it was exciting to hear that Tom and Mark and Travis were going to all do different things. Tom's new project is this - Angels & Airwaves. This first track, "The Adventure" was posted in his Purevolume.com section months ago. It's not new at this point.

But it's fucking phenomenal. It's like listening to Who-18U2 (did that make sense?) - it's epic sounding. What I love about it is that while Mark and Travis are working on an album, Tom's working on a project. It's a movie, it's an album, it's supposed to be incredible. I'm really excited. So when I saw that there was a video for this project of his, I was excited. While the video itself isn't going to blow your mind, it's really the perfect video for this song and a perfect introduction to the world of Angels & Airwaves (which, supposedly, is going to be a World War II epic with a twist, at least as far as I know). We're talking about the first mainstream full-length movie/music video project in quite some time. I'm excited (and hoping this isn't the equivalent to Head by the Monkees). You should be, too.

(And I know that in the last 25 seconds something weird happens and you lose audio for about 5 seconds. I apologize. I don't know why that happens, but it does.)



Video: "The Adventure" - Angels & Airwaves [iPod Compatible]
{Director: The Malloys}